Don’t we love all these sunrises and sunsets? They just take our breath away …
And don’t we all reach excitingly for the camera when we see this beauty of nature? Let’s share our pictures!
This month’s competition subject is about the golden hours in photography.
The “Golden Hour” is a period shortly after sunrise or before sunset during which daylight is just magical. Warm, reddish, and much softer than when the Sun is higher in the sky.
Landscape photographers love this beautiful light, as the warm colour of the low sun enhances the colours of the scene. It also casts long shadows that will give it more dimension.
In the middle of the day, the bright overhead sun can create strong highlights and dark shadows. Because the contrast is less during the golden hour, shadows are less dark, and highlights are less likely to be overexposed.
The two primary directions of light when taking pictures in golden light would be front and back.
Front, when your subject is just bathed in this warm light, and back when you can see a beautiful glow outlining the subject separating it from the background.
With the backlight and this low angle of light, you may also get a nice flare effect. The lens flare may create many forms. It may look like bright streaks, polygonal shapes or just give overall washed out look.
We are looking forward to seeing your entries!!
It is easy to enter, and the competition is open to everyone. Entry opens on 4th July 2017 and closes on Monday 31st July 2017.
There is Flickr group dedicated to the Golden / Magic Hour which you can visit for inspiration:
and check the 500px – https://500px.com/search?q=golden+hour
Your pictures should be saved as jpg files and not bigger than 3MB. Remember to name your files e.g. katesmith1.jpg
Please email your best pictures (3 max) to [email protected]
The winner will receive a £75 in course vouchers, and second place a fantastic book “The Photographer’s Eye – Remastered 10th Anniversary Edition” by Michael Freeman.
We will notify the winners by 7th of August 2017.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and not in breach of any copyright.
- Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, you give permission to DSLR Photography Courses to feature your images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
- Only 3 images per person are allowed.
- The images should be in JPEG format and not bigger than 3MB, with the resolution not smaller than 150dpi. Entries must be labelled with the entrant’s name.
- Images should be emailed to [email protected]
- The judges’ decision is final.
- The winner will be notified within seven days of the closing date of the competition via email and announced on DSLR Photography Courses website and social media.
- The prize vouchers will be valid for 12 months, and there are no cash alternatives. The voucher can be used for half a day courses and workshops to the value of the voucher, as well as a part payment for any other full day or specialised courses we offer of a higher value.
- Only three images per person will be accepted per month, and each image can be entered only once and not be used for the future competitions.
- DSLR Photography Courses reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of the competition rules.
- Any personal details of the competitors will be used only for the administering purposes and not published or provided to third parties. DSLR Photography Courses reserves the right to publish the winner’s name on their website and media sites and publications.
- Any late or corrupted files won’t be accepted.
- Promoter: DSLR Photography Courses, Wimbledon Art Studios, 10 Riverside Road, London SW17 0BB.