Portrait Photography and Studio Lighting Course
Our Portrait Photography Course is fun and informative introduction to the fundamental elements of portrait photography with an emphasis on the importance of light and how to control it.
Highly enjoyable one day course with plenty of hands-on practice shooting portraits in our studio.
But what is portraiture? A simple document taken in a photo booth? Yes. An elaborate set up in a studio? Yes. A lucky shot of an old man or a cute kid reading a book on the floor? Yes. It is all of this and much much more. Therefore, some of the course will focus on what portraiture actually is. Why and how we choose to shoot particular subjects.
The course and the tutor was excellent! I have learnt more about portraiture today then all the reading I have done. I only wish I had heard about the course before. Thanks also to the model – she was very professional.
Terry Taylor (Canon EOS 650D)
Great portrait course! I very much enjoyed learning about light, and the whole experience of shooting in studio environment with a model. Would definitely recommend the course to others.
James Evans (Nikon D7000)
LIGHT, LIGHT & SOME MORE LIGHT – amazing a real eye opener for me! Posing & model positioning, slight movements making so much difference. Plenty of hands-on helping to make things stick. Jason did a great job of teaching at a good pace in a very clear manner. I will be recommending to my friends at the photo club I belong to. Very good value – very professional.
Steve Pellett (Nikon D90)
I wanted to learn more about fundamentals of photography, specifically lighting and posing, to take more interesting photographs of people. The course fully met my expectations and I would definitely recommend it.
Stuart Campbell (Nikon 5200D)
I came on a course to learn how to perfect a portrait shot, some composition rules and using correct lenses. We had some really good practical activities to gain experience. Enjoyed the day and would definitely recommend the course!
Norina Mingoya (Nikon D3200)
I discovered a whole new world which I hadn’t realised existed. I will now move into portraiture with greater confidence. The theory was really interesting and informative and the practical activities were eye opening. A well balanced course, but there is so much more i need to learn!
Mike Bond (Canon EOS 500d)
I was looking forward to filling in gaps in my photography skills and learning how to take better portraits. I definitely had some useful insights, tips and tricks on portraiture and got lots of inspiration!
Silvia (Canon 60d)
Plenty of hands-on practice!
With groups no larger than 6 participants, we can guarantee that everyone will get a high level of attention and some personal tips!
Great introduction to Portraiture and Studio Lighting
Our Portrait photography course normally runs from 10.00am to 4.00pm with one coffee break and around half an hour for lunch.
The course will discuss what a photographic portrait actually is as well as exploring the different ways in which we can use studio lighting and photographic equipment to achieve the results that we want.
On this course you will learn and/or have an introduction to:
- Explore a little of the history and concepts behind photographic portraiture, including the many different ways in which a portrait may be shot and even interpreted.
- The basics of portraiture composition.
- Look at the underlying principles of light such as: Quality, Quantity, Colour, Contrast and Direction, how to recognise, appreciate and ultimately control it, whether in a studio or just using “available” light.
- An introduction to “high” and “low key” photography and how this can be achieved either in a studio context or, again, using available light.
- Get hands-on practice of setting up and shooting in different studio lighting scenarios, including the standard “one light” set ups such as: Rembrandt, Loop, Butterfly, Split, Broad and Short lighting.
- Develop practical understanding of typical lighting set ups, with one and two lights, including the concepts of “key” light, “fill” and “rim” lighting.
- Consider different ways of posing and positioning the subject.
- Have an opportunity to explore how we can shoot successful portraits using natural light, including such considerations as depth of field, lens choice and posing outside of a studio environment.
- An understanding of how different focal lengths can totally alter the nature, expression and, ultimately, even the intention behind a photographic portrait.
- You will leave the course with an appreciation of just how broadly the term portraiture may be interpreted.
What to expect on the day?
The course is a stimulating combination of presentations, demonstrations and discussions.
During the first part of this course our tutor will cover the history and concepts behind photographic portraiture, the equipment and methods used in portrait photography.
Next will be a guided practice with a model, tips on lens choice, composition, metering and how to control the light in different scenarios.
Please note – for all demonstrations and during practice in this class we use continuous lights.
We also have a workshop that is entirely focused on flash lighting. If you are already familiar with all the concepts of portrait photography and are looking to advance your skills even further, please follow this link to the Creative Studio Lighting with Flash course page.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who is looking for new directions for their photography, would like to enhance their technical and creative skills, or maybe thinking of purchasing own studio lights.
It is assumed that those attending will have a basic knowledge of photography and have an understanding of aperture, shutter speeds and exposure, or have already attended our Beginners DSLR or Intensive Beginner courses.
We recommend bringing a 50mm, 85mm or 100mm lens. If you have a range of lenses please email us after making a booking and we will recommend best lenses for this course. Tripods are not required.
|Course key facts|
intermediate and advanced
optimal tutor attention
10:00am – 4:00pm
Wimbledon Art Studios10 Riverside Yard
London SW17 0BB
Offer valid Friday 23rd November – Monday 26th November 2018.
All Gift Vouchers purchased during the sale event will be valid for 12 months.
|23 Nov 201923 Nov 201923 Nov 2019||Saturday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Portrait & Studio Lighting Course||sold out||£165.00||Waiting list|
|30 Nov 201930 Nov 201930 Nov 2019||Saturday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Portrait & Studio Lighting Course||only 1 left||£165.00||Book now|
|15 Dec 201915 Dec 201915 Dec 2019||Sunday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Portrait & Studio Lighting Course||only 3 left||£165.00||Book now|
|02 Feb 202002 Feb 202002 Feb 2020||Sunday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Portrait & Studio Lighting Course||6||£165.00||Sign up|
|13 Feb 202013 Feb 202013 Feb 2020||Thursday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Portrait & Studio Lighting Course||6||£165.00||Sign up|
|08 Mar 202008 Mar 202008 Mar 2020||Sunday||10:00 am - 4:00 pm||Portrait & Studio Lighting Course||6||£165.00||Sign up|