Architecture – Photography Competition 2019 03
Hi Everyone, it’s time for another photo competition!
Spring is almost here… but not yet… so we will keep that theme for another time. (April?)
While scouting for the best locations to run a new edition of our Travel Photography course I’ve spent a lot of time around London Bridge, Tower Hill, Monument, Covent Garden, and WOW I have to say that architecture in London is really amazing!
Well, we kind of know it, but also take it for granted. It’s the city where we work, 9 to 5, daily routines .. and we just pass all these buildings every day, without looking at them properly.
So I thought, hey, let’s slow down this month and look at the buildings around us, both old and the modern architecture.
Ok, so the theme for March – ARCHITECTURE
– Shoot in a variety of weather conditions and times of the day. (Strong light can emphasise the lines and add drama, or if you like, go for a moody silhouette, or maybe a nighttime long exposure.)
– Try different angles.
– Look for lines and shapes.
– Explore details as much as the whole.
– Be sensitive to the direction of light as this can increase contrast, shadows, textures and reflections.
– A wide-angle lens (24mm, 18mm or less) is ideal as it will enable you to frame the entire building within its environment. Or zoom in to show patterns.
– Keep it sharp – use narrower apertures like f11, f16, f22, …; and if you have one – use a tripod to stabilise the shot and to avoid camera shake.
Below are few pics I shot on Tuesday afternoon walking from London Bridge station to the City Hall.
As always I’ve created a Pinterest board to inspire you a bit, but you are the artist, so feel free to experiment!
Remember that the winner will receive £50 in course vouchers. Please submit maximum three of your best pictures. We’ll choose the winner and publish a selection of our favourite images.
We are looking forward to seeing your entries!!!
It is easy to enter, and the competition is open to everyone. Entry closes on 31st March 2019.
Your pictures should be saved as jpg files and not bigger than 3MB. Remember to name your files e.g. katesmith1.jpg
Please email your best pictures (3 max) to email@example.com
We will notify the winners on 15th April 2019.